Friday, October 11, 2013

Got camera? Got photo release form?

It's pretty much always been that if you're photographing at a public event, you don't need to have a form signed by the person you're photographing. However, if you're going to use it for financial gain, you do.

It's a good idea to get a lawyer to draw up a release form for you, just to protect you. For example, if you have a photo of a nice looking couple sitting by a water fountain and you want to make a post card out of it, the couple might want to collect some money from you. However, if you set the shot up and have them sign a release acknowledging that you can use the photo for commercial purposes, then you're okay. Or, you may want to pay them up front.

Oh yes, there are some  terms and agreements to look into. That's why you need a legal eyeball.

MARKETING TIP: Photos are truly your best promotional tool. Just be careful.

No comments: